Monday, June 8, 2015

I'm rooting for BuzzFeed! Who's with me?

I can’t help but discuss the alleged Facebook ‘news’ source that has been the cause of some of the most controversial Facebook debate today-BuzzFeed.

The majority of critics stand unsatisfied, perceiving this platform as excessively opinionated and an example of false or phony journalism.

And this lack of satisfaction has initiated a change, in which “after intense criticism, BuzzFeed backed down on the deletion of posts with ‘personal opinion’ in them,” according to Jay Rosen.

See, this is good.  This means that BuzzFeed has hope. 

I should have clarified my standpoint.

I like BuzzFeed.  I think there’s something to be said for its silliness, even sometimes pointlessness.

We’re a generation of relativity. 

The youth like reading and exploring works that stray from the overly solemn matters that have embodied society for far too long-we’re sick of reading pieces that evidently had to follow strict writing and ethical guidelines.  They welcome works that explore matters more pertinent to them and their personal lives, regardless of the insufficient professionalism.

That being said, I perceive BuzzFeed backing down as them working to be as best as they can be, so that critics won’t prevail in a complete BuzzFeed take down.

Ben Smith states, “We obviously need to do a better job of giving guidance to writers and editors on the place of personal opinion on the site.  That’s an ongoing conversation in which we’d love your input…”  Both the fact that they cognize their faults and listen as well as accept outside input reveals their willingness to be better-that, if what’s disputed is fixed, they can finally gain the positive reputation they desire.

So I’m rooting for BuzzFeed.  Who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment