Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Journalistic Twitter

My Past Social Media Presence

I have been a member of social media platforms for some years now.

I've been on Facebook since 2009, I've been on Twitter since 2011, and I've been on Instagram since 2013.  I've used these websites for:
  • Uploading pictures of me and my friends
  • Wishing happy birthdays to friends and followers
  • Posting statuses/tweets about my daily encounters such as a silly tweet about a funny thing my dad said or a venting tweet about how unbearably cold the Chicago weather gets in the winter
  • Keeping in contact with loved ones far away
Considering this, it's safe to say I've invested much of my time towards the media, though I cannot say with confidence I've ever felt more inclined to get my hands on the web like I do with Twitter now that I am ruminating on a potential journalism career.

My Current Social Media Presence

I do not envision Twitter the same as I did in 2011.  I see it not only as a source of keeping up with the media, but I perceive it now as my future.  Along with Facebook and Instagram, I find that much of what I post about will alter due to new and more professional followers.  For example, I have been recently followed by people involved in news writing organizations (just two, yes, but two more than I had), possibly because they're interested, possibly because they merely notice we share common interests.  Either way, I'm now more attentive to the tweets I post, diminishing tweets that may come off as unprofessional and looking to a more professional presence by eventually increasing tweets that lead followers to pieces of my writing.  As a result, Twitter now stands more as a foundation for inspiring me to write since us journalists now are given a useful strategy of getting our name out there.  The more I write, the more I can tweet my name and work, the more my chances of success grow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment