Thursday, April 30, 2015

"So, are you a White Sox or a Cubs fan?"

Sound familiar, Chicagoans? 

Me too. 
How about, “Why do you care so much about being a Cubs/Sox fan?  They’re both Chicago teams!”
Well, maybe that’s just me; however, some may be asked that question as frequently as I.
To be clear, I’m a White Sox fan, and yes I care deeply, though I like to consider my care as outward deep pride.
I mentioned my commonly asked queries regarding Chicago baseball-I didn’t mention the answers I usually reiterate. 
That’s probably because I don’t reply with an answer, but a question in itself.  When I’m asked why I care so much since they’re both Chicago teams, I instead answer, “Why should I not care?”
If you really take the time to imagine all that goes into the life of professional baseball games, you can’t help but experience all five senses the picture induces. 
You hear the crowds screaming and the walk-up songs playing.
You taste the hot dog in your hand and possibly the cold beer on your lips.
You feel the windy city air on your skin and the body energy of those around you.
You smell the tempting cotton-candy and the fresh-cut grass.
Above all, you envision the beloved baseball players of your favorite team winning the game you’ve invariably loved being a fan of to watch live. 
So if you think about it, Chicagoans have been, if anything, put in the position to act no other way but caring... maybe even a little too greatly.
Baseball has become so much of an iconic American pastime that these very senses strike so fervently Americans’ emotions as being a game of both childhood and adult memories and utter nostalgia.
And if Americans overall feel an unconditional connection with the game of baseball, imagine how Chicagoans feel.
From the year 1900, Chicago was home to two professional baseball teams, in which the White Sox became a team after Charles Comiskey moved the St. Paul Saints to the South Side of Chicago, activating a long and flourishing rivalry between the two North and South sides of Chicago.
115 years.
That’s how long Chicago has been home to two professional baseball teams. 
That’s 115 years dedicated to building a new team’s loyalty through the team's successful records and the expanded number of devoted fans as a result.
That’s also 115 years dedicated to enhancing an old team’s loyalty through not only team achievements and following expansion of fans, but through the fans that already feel an undying passion for their team and may be inclined towards biasness in that no other team can represent Chicago better.
No one can deny the unbreakable bond some Cubs fans hold with their team.  I’d say it were false, but I’d be only lying and also be contradicting and hindering the point I'm trying to make.
My best friend Emma & I next to the Frank Thomas statue at
one of my favorite White Sox games.
I experienced my first Cubs game last year, and without hesitation I can speak on behalf of the heartfelt atmosphere the crowds generated.  I can also say I understood it; if I were a North-side native, a member of a historical Cubs fan family, or simply an advocate for historical American baseball, I would be chanting, screaming, cheering on the team alongside the zealous Cubs fans.
That being said, my first Cubs game also helped me understand how much more I enjoyed White Sox games and why.
I appreciate them so much more because I care-and so do Cubs fans.
People ask why we care.  We care because we can.
The city has given us the ability to not only be Chicago baseball fans, but to be a South or North-side Chicago baseball fan as well; to either being the die-hard fan of Chicago’s longest known baseball history or the die-hard Chicago fan working towards a more newfound devotion to Chicago baseball. 

Competition is good.  A challenge is what teaches most.  Chicago stands now more as a city of diversity and fearlessness through its willingness to fabricate greater, more serious means of opposition. 

Let’s embrace the competition that drives the unique and engaging sports city Chicago is today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment