Friday, May 22, 2015

My Attempt to Politically Tweet

I'm no woman of politics.  I struggle finding motive to get involved with such controversies, though I did make one single political street, if you even consider it as such. 

An Obama advocate tweeted an extremely uncultivated post that attempted to defend Obama and how race should never be a factor when deciding a president; good point, but it was the way she handled her beliefs that risks losing the value of the message.  She instead targeted Caucasians as being stereotypical and subjected us all as racists.

I took a screenshot of the tweet and made a responsive tweet reading, "People might listen to your point if this tweet wasn't as stereotypical as those Caucasians."  I went on to argue with her to clarify that whether her main objective is correct, those Caucasians she's referring to that judge politics in that manner she longs to cease, will continue perceiving president selections that way because she just subtlety admitted to being racist herself.  I am not a racist, and I have just as many friends and family that support Obama; considering me as one just because of a handle of individuals is hurtful.  It's not to say that this was an exceptionally effective tweet-It did not attract crazy publicity, but it was effective within my followers.  Some responded agreeing, some responded disagreeing, and many had further conversations about other posts they'd seen with content like the one I posted, so while I never generated a heated political conversation, I did create awareness to politics and induced conversations related to them.

Social media allows rapid, up-to-date, instant, breaking news by its convergent and accessible nature.  We're granted the right to digital and wireless connections on a constant basis, on a variety of mediums.  We're the developing digital age where everything is mobile.  We need not wait even a second to report news-it's right in our hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment