Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Wonderful World of Virtual Communities

A media course this term required being an actual member of an online community for a set period of time in order to relay and explain the rich culture that embodies virtual communities.  We were to explore similar communities as well to better enhance our understanding.

I chose Pinterest, We Heart It, and Photobucket, in which I was introduced to the wonderful world of sharing and appreciating photography.














The hectic lifestyle a student, family member, boyfriend, friend, and internee entails limits much of my free time.  While I love my field of study, relationships, and job, I often miss the creative, free of pressure habits that life sets its damper.  I find deep fascination and passion for art, even more so with the process of taking and viewing photos-which is why these communities were perfect for me and suited my interests.

I learned that there's positives and negatives to online communities.

Positives:
  • Enhancement of knowledge concerning interest
  • Sharing of your own knowledge concerning interest
  • Feeling welcome among a group
  • Career, innovational, professional opportunities
  • Building personal profiles
  • Boosting confidence and self-awareness
Negatives:
  • Loss of human contact
  • Potential decrease in reading and research ability
  • Possibility of harsh and hurtful words and arguments
  • Potential lack of confidence in person
  • Fear/failure of eye contact

No comments:

Post a Comment