Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Why Technology Makes Me Smarter

We've all heard it-technology will take over the world, people will lose the ability to find credible research, the rules to grammar and spelling will be forgotten.

I beg to differ.

In accordance to computer and phone gaming, several assumptions regard these means of media as diminishing our intelligence. 

On my iPhone, I play about 45 games of "Words with Friends," a remake of the original Scrabble, on average with my mother, grandma, uncle, boyfriend, and a couple random match-ups via the app; I play a game called "Jumbline," in which you are to find as many words as possible in a different set of 6 mashed-up letters each round while finding the largest 6-letter word they create conjointly, an average 30 minutes a day; I play a game called "Scramble with Friends" another 30 minutes a day on average, where I am to find as many words as possible in a block set of 16 randomized letters (4 letters each column) in order to beat an opponent attempting to find more words than I.  I currently play and have played many more word games than just those, but those are my top 3.
A preview of the game Jumbline and its purpose.

So, back to the alleged claims that others are certain hold truth... Diminishing our intelligence?  More like extending my vocabulary.  The competition both with myself and other players aspires both a need and desire to learn as many words as possible.  Because after all, isn't that the key to success in any iPhone word game?

No comments:

Post a Comment